With the addition of Product Listing Ads (PLA’s) Google has given online marketers another great avenue in which to advertise. Product Listing Ads are image ads triggered by a keyword search, thus making it the best of both worlds in the Google universe. A searcher enters a keyword or phrase, and in addition to the paid text ads and the organic search results, images of relevant products from merchants will appear.
Steps to creating Product Listing Ads:
• Set up a Google Merchant Center Account and link to your existing Google AdWords account. www.Google.com/merchants
• Create a Google shopping feed and upload to your Google Merchant center account. A template for the spreadsheet may be found here: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/2364723?hl=en
• Product titles, landing pages, and image links will all be designated and controlled by the fields in your Google Shopping Feed.
• Create a new AdWords campaign specifically for your Product Listing Ads. Settings, geography, and bids are all similar to the controls you have in your existing search and display campaigns. For example: if you want to limit your geography to just the Duluth and Cloquet, Minnesota area it can be done in the campaign settings tab as usual.
• Analyze and optimize your results in similar manner as you would in your search campaign. You will also find data in your Merchant Center Dashboard, as well as previews of your products themselves. Optimizing a PLA campaign has a few extra tweaks to consider, and I will address those in my next Product Listing Ad article.
As you get comfortable with your new PLA campaign there will be another feed to consider in the effort to differentiate your product ads from the competition. A promotions feed can be created and added to your Google Merchant Center account. The resulting promotion will show at the bottom of the PLA as a link to a “Special Offer.” A searcher clicks on that link thus revealing the offer and the code needed to take advantage of the offer.
Product Listing Ads are receiving positive feedback from both consumers and advertisers alike. A firm with an online, ecommerce store will certainly benefit from a PLA campaign in Google AdWords. If you have any questions on PLA’s or any other aspect of AdWords please contact me at the email address below.